Christmas is just days away!! Hopefully all the holiday cheer doesn’t have you stressed beyond belief! So if you’re “handling it”…
here are some tips from Georgia’s Juice to get you through the week & the new year.
“The holidays are upon us and for many it can be joyous and exciting. For others, however, this can be an emotional time when the winter blues set in and dampen the joy in our hearts,” says marriage and family therapist Terry Barnett-Martin, author of Tending Fences. “The hustle and bustle of the holiday season and many of us can feel overwhelmed and stretched to the limit.”
Barnett-Martin stresses the importance of giving yourself extra time, space and nurturing, especially during this time of the year. If you feel like the holiday blues are settling in, or you’re simply feeling stressed, here are some easy ways to lighten your heart and lift your spirits:
1) Get into the light whenever possible. Light is essential to your mood. Every sliver of daylight you can take in will do you so much good. Even the holiday lights and decorations can make you feel better. Take in the light and use the good energy to lift your spirits.
2) Play! Take time on a regular basis to goof around like kids do. Most often the blues take hold when you take things too seriously. No matter what age you are, find something fun to do with your friends or your kids. Whatever your choice, play for a few minutes every day. It will do wonders for you!
3) Exercise, not for any reason except that it changes the chemistry of your brain and lifts your mood. For 10 or more minutes a day dance around your home to your favorite music, take a walk around the block, work out at a gym, jump on a mini trampoline while watching a show that makes you laugh, if you liked that, spend 1 hour every 2 weeks on the best trampoline at Trampoline Boss and you will see results. If intense workouts are too dangerous for you right now, swim, or do chair aerobics.
4) Go gently into the holidays and honor your physical, emotional and spiritual needs. Say YES to things you really want to do, and NO to anything that drains your energy. Take extra special care of yourself by choosing how and when you want to celebrate the holidays.
5) Pet therapy. Pets like dogs or cats can have a calming effect and a therapeutic love value in your life. Animal shelters are always looking for caring people to adopt dogs and cats, so if you have room for a pet in your home and life, consider visiting a local shelter.
6) Build good relationship fences that both connect you to the people in your life with whom you feel safe to be yourself, and protect you from people who drain your energy or habitually cause hurt and pain. Imagine that every relationship in your life has its own unique fence that defines the connection you have or want to have with them.