In Defense Of Maxi Dresses
The other night, I met up with a guy for happy hour. I came straight from work and was wearing a maxi dress. When I met him at the restaurant, the first thing he said to me was, “You look nice…but why are you wearing a gown?” Somehow he interpreted the fact I wore a maxi dress on the date as me dressing up. I wasn’t particularly trying to impress him; I just threw on the dress because I was in a rush and it was hot outside. And, to be completely honest, I didn’t shave my legs that morning (clearly this guy didn’t have much of a chance to begin with). To me, maxis are the easiest thing to wear, but I know that maxi dresses usually spark a heated debate: women either love them or hate them, and men simply don’t get them.
I never understand why maxi dresses get such a bad rap. They are kind of like the dress version of sweatpants. They are super comfortable and they “hide all sins” (ie. they cover any and all problem areas). Maxi dresses are magic–they make everyone look slimmer. Sure, it might be a little difficult to find one that’s the right fit and length, but once you find it, it will be your go-to-summer outfit. Still not convinced? The benefits of a maxi dress include, but are not limited to, the following:
- You don’t have to worry about shaving your legs.
- Your legs won’t stick to gross subway/taxi/train seats.
- You don’t run the risk of flashing your cooch while you’re getting out of the car.
- You look dressed up, even if you only spent approximately 5 minutes getting ready.
- You don’t have to wear underwear.
- You don’t have to worry about having a “Marilyn Monroe moment” (ie. when the wind blows up your skirt).
- You get to hold the dress up slightly when you’re walking down the stairs (I personally like this because it makes me feel like a fancy princess).
- They are great for hot weather.
- But you won’t freeze your ass off in air-conditioned buildings.
- They can easily be dressed up or down.
- There’s a reason pregnant woman love ‘em: maxi dresses are perfect for self-proclaimed “fat days.”
- Did I mention you don’t have to shave your legs?
Just trust me, okay? Once you try them, you’ll never go back. Click through the slideshow to shop some of my favorite maxi dresses.
**courtesy of SHEfinds